Etymologie, Etimología, Étymologie, Etimologia, Etymology, (griech.) etymología, (lat.) etymologia, (esper.) etimologio
US Vereinigte Staaten von Amerika, Estados Unidos de América, États-Unis d'Amérique, Stati Uniti d'America, United States of America, (esper.) Unuigintaj Statoj de Ameriko
Fragen und Antworten, Preguntas y Respuestas, Questions et Réponses, Domanda e Risposta, Questions and Answers, (esper.) demandoj kaj respondoj
von frz. "expert", lat. "expertus" = "erprobt", "bewährt".
How does the media decide to call someone "an expert"?
The expert is, tragicomically, an expert only because he happens to be the one who was interviewed. Interviewing non-experts would be a tragical 'faute de goűt' and lack of respect towards the audience. In today's world, there are some fields in which a certain façade of seriousmindedness has to be maintained - and in some others it mustn't.
Natalio Elta - Paris
(am 15.12.2002 gab es dazu 8 Antworten)
google - Answers - Ask a question
Gezielte Antworten gegen Bares; ältere Antworten sind kostenlos.
More than 500 carefully screened Researchers are ready to answer your question for as little as $2.50 - usually within 24 hours.
Dieser Google-Dienst wurde im Dezember 2006 eingestellt. Das Archiv ist jedoch weiterhin online durchsuchbar.
Antworten auf Fragen wie:
Wie funktioniert ein Sonnensegel?
Erklärungen auch mit Fotos;
The Linguist List - Fachleute antworten zu Fragen - It's available in Deutsch, Espańol, Français, Italiano, Portuguęs, to boot. There are seemingly endless resources here, plus the Ask a Linguist service. It's not strictly etymology, but it certainly deserves to be in The Hall of Fame.
- Why Do Shells Sound Like the Ocean?
- Where Does the Hashtag (a.k.a. Octothorpe) Come From?
- Why Is the NBA Shot Clock 24 Seconds?
- Why Is New York City Called 'Gotham'?
- Why Do College Basketball Teams Cut Down the Nets?
- What’s the Purpose of the Dots on a Basketball?
- Why Are Electrical Plugs Different in Europe?
- Why Are Manhole Covers Round?
- Why Do People Call It "Xmas"?
- Why Are Blue and White the Hanukkah Colors?
- How Do Generations Get Their Names?
- Why is English Spelling So Messed Up?
- Where is Old Zealand?
- Why Does Music Give Us Chills?
- What Was Your Best Moment of the Last Five Years?
- What Was Your Best (or Worst) Summer Job?
- Why Do We Stretch During the Seventh Inning?
- Why Do Some Elements Have Symbols That Aren’t in Their Names?
- How Do Movies Get Their Ratings?
- How Does the Farmers' Almanac Work?
- Why Did the Nazis Hijack the Swastika?
- How Did the Tony Awards Get Their Name?
- How Did Spring Break Get Its Start?
- Why Do We Cross Our Fingers For Good Luck?
- Which Came First: Airplanes or Paper Airplanes?
- Why is Connecticut Called the “Nutmeg State”?
- What’s the Oldest Trick in the Book?
- Why Were the Oscars Created?
- Why Are There Two Dakotas and Two Carolinas?
- Why Are the Academy Awards Statuettes Called Oscars?
- Why Don't Valentine Hearts Look Like Real Hearts?
- Where Does the Term "Honeymoon" Come From?
- Why Do We Blow Out Candles on Birthday Cakes?
- Can Anyone Just Make a Citizen’s Arrest?
- Where Did The Term "Happy Hour" Come From?
- Why Are Introductory Classes Called "101"?
- Where Did the Phrase "Ay Yai Yai" Come From?
- Why Do We Call Our Galaxy the Milky Way?
- What's the Origin of the Phrase "The Eleventh Hour"?
- What’s the Deal with Those Last 4 Digits on ZIP Codes?
- Why are “Ghost,” “Ghastly,” and “Ghoul” Spelled with “gh”?
- What's the Origin of the Word "Dude"?
- Why Are Pool Tables Green?
- Why Do People Say the Moon is Made of Cheese?
- Where Does the Phrase “To Turn the Tables” Come From?
- What’s the Origin of “Chinese Fire Drills"?
- Why Are They Called "Barbershop Quartets"?
- Why Do We Call the Seasons Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter?
- Where Did the Phrase "Pleased as Punch" Come From?
- Why is Friday the 13th Considered Unlucky?
- What's the Origin of the Phrase "Run Amok"?
- Where Did the 8 Glasses of Water A Day Myth Come From?
- Who Created Karaoke?
- What Causes Nightmares?
- Why Are Soccer Balls Made of Hexagons?
- Where Did the Term "86" Come From?
- Why is “Pound” Abbreviated as “lb”?
- The Origin of the Gatorade Shower
- What Are Smithereens?
- Why Are Road Partitions Called Jersey Barriers?
- Who Cracked the Liberty Bell?
- What Causes Morning Breath?
- Where Does the Word "Hoser" Come From?
- Who Invented the Little Black Dress?
- What's the Origin of "Kilroy Was Here"?
- Why Do Athletes Slap Each Others’ Butts?
- Why is this Style of Facial Hair Called Sideburns?
- Why Do We Say "The Butler Did It"?
- Who Writes the Messages in Fortune Cookies?
- Why Do Students Dissect Frogs?
- What is the Origin of the Phrase "Come Out of the Closet"?
- What Determines What Your Voice Sounds Like?
- Why Did Egyptian Pharaohs Wear False Beards?
- How Did Caesarean Sections Get Their Name?
- Who Was "Miranda" of the Miranda Warning?
- When and Why Did People Start Saying "Um"?
- Where Do the Words “Mom” and “Dad” Come From?
- Why Do We Knock on Wood?
- Where Did the Phrase “Dressed to the Nines” Come From?
- How Did Pabst Win Its Blue Ribbon?
- Where Did The Easter Bunny Come From?
- How Did "Jones" Come to Mean "Craving"?
- How Do They Make the "Pope Smoke"?
- Why Does Poop Stink?
- Where Exactly Did the Russian Meteor Come From?
- What Did People Use Before Toilet Paper?
- Why Don't We Celebrate Washington's Birthday On His Birthday?
- Are Snails Born With Shells?
- What Do the Words of the Mardi Gras Song Mean?
- What is Gaslighting?
- Why is a Fake Doctor Called a Quack?
- Where Did the Phrase "Caught Red Handed" Come From?
- Where Did the Looney Tunes “Acme Corporation” Come From?
- Why Is a Baker's Dozen 13?
- Where Did the Phrase "Smart Alec" Come From?
- Where Did the Term "Booze" Come From?
- Why Is Toy Packaging So Difficult to Open?
- Why Do We Kiss Under The Mistletoe?
- Why Does "XOXO" Mean "Kisses and Hugs"?
- Why Did Humans Start Eating Cheese in the First Place?
- Why is New York City Called The Big Apple?
- How Did 6 Feet Become the Standard Grave Depth?
- Why Do We Wish on the Turkey’s Wishbone?
- When Did We Start Naming Winter Storms?
- Where Did The Idea Of "Red States" and "Blue States" Come From?
- Where Did Hard Hats Come From?
- What’s the Origin of Jack-O’-Lanterns?
- What's Up With "10-4"ť And Other Radio Lingo?
- Why Is Abruptly Quitting Something Called "Going Cold Turkey"?
- Why Are Blueprints Blue?
- People Give Kudos All The Time, But What is a Kudo?
- Why Are People Who Cross Picket Lines Called "Scabs"?
- Why Are First-Year Students Called Freshmen?
- Why Are Bottles of Champagne Smashed On New Ships?
- What Are "Dibs"?
- Who Wrote "Happy Birthday to You" (and Who's Collecting the Millions in Royalties)?
- Where Do Seedless Watermelons Come From?
- What's the Origin of "Let the Cat out of the Bag"?
- How Did Slipping on a Banana Peel Become a Comedy Staple?
- Why Are Traffic Lights Red and Green?
- What Do Snakes and Sticks Have to Do With Doctors?
- Where Does the Phrase "Steal My Thunder" Come From?
- Why Are There Gideon Bibles in Hotel Rooms?
- If You Cannibalize a Person With an Illness, Will You Get Sick?
- What Does That "Rx" Have to Do With Prescription Drugs?
- Why Are Unidentified People Called John or Jane Doe?
- Which Came First: Orange the Color or Orange the Fruit?
- Where Did the Term "Pink Slip" Originate?
- Where Does the Term "Slush Fund" Come From?
- Why Do Radio Stations Begin With 'K' and 'W'?
- Why Do People Say "Holy Mackerel"?
- What's With All the Mustaches? The Origins of Movember
- Why Are the Letters in ABC Order?
- How Does an Etch A Sketch Work?
- Why Do We Sing the National Anthem at Sporting Events?
- Who Was Ponzi & What Was His Scheme?
- Do People Really Walk in Circles When They’re Lost?
- Are Carrots Really That Good For Your Eyes?
- Who Wrote Chopsticks?
- Who Invented Sliced Bread?
New York Times
Antworten auf alle möglichen und unmöglichen Fragen rund um die Wissenschaften
uga - WORDS-L - English Language Discussion Group