Etymologie, Etimología, Étymologie, Etimologia, Etymology, (griech.) etymología, (lat.) etymologia, (esper.) etimologio
@_ Welt, Mundo, Monde, Mondo, World, (lat.) orbis (terrae), (esper.) mondo
Zoologie, Zoología, Zoologie, Zoologia, Zoology, (esper.) zoologio
Auf Esperanto heißt dt. "Entomologie", esp. "entomologio" = dt. "Insektenkunde".
- entomologio: Scienco pri la insektoj.
- entomologiisto: Specialisto pri entomologio.
- anglaj: ~o: entomology; ~isto: entomologist.
- francaj: ~o: entomologie; ~isto: entomologiste.
- germanaj: ~o: Insektenkunde, Insektologie [ark], Entomologie [fak].
- hispanaj: ~o: entomología.
- hungaraj: ~o: rovartan, entomológia.
- katalunaj: ~o: entomologia; ~isto: entomòleg.
- nederlandaj: ~o: insectenkunde, entomologie.
- polaj: ~o: entomologia; ~isto: entomolog.
- portugalaj: ~o: entomologia.
- entomologiisto multaj insektoj kiuj estas klasifikitaj kiel variajoj en la admirinda verko de sinjoro Volaston (Wollaston) ... estus klasifikitaj kiel apartaj specioj de multaj entomologoj.
- anglaj: ~o: entomologist.
- francaj: ~o: entomologiste.
- polaj: ~o: entomolog.
International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature
- The Code
- Current Cases and List of Available Names
- Manual for proposing a part of the LAN
- A new lease of life for the ICZN
- Submitting a Case
About the ICZN
Standards, sense and stability for animal names
The ICZN provides and regulates a uniform system of zoological nomenclature ensuring that every animal has a unique and universally accepted scientific name.
The maintenance of international standards in animal nomenclature is the unique role of the Commission. It is not the role of the Commission to become involved in taxonomic issues except where they have nomenclatural implications.
The International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature (ICZN) was founded in 1895. Its task is to create, publish and, periodically, to revise the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature. The Commission also considers and rules on specific cases of nomenclatural uncertainty. These rulings are published as 'Opinions' in the Bulletin of Zoological Nomenclature.
INTERNATIONAL CODE OF ZOOLOGICAL NOMENCLATURE online
- Title pages
- Explanatory Note on the Code
- Preface to the Fourth Edition
- Chapter 1: Zoological nomenclature
- Chapter 2: The number of words in the scientific names of animals
- Chapter 3: Criteria of publication
- Chapter 4: Criteria of availability
- Chapter 5: Date of publication
- Chapter 6: Validity of names and nomenclatural acts
- Chapter 7: Formation and treatment of names
- Chapter 8: Family-group nominal taxa and their names
- Chapter 9: Genus-group nominal taxa and their names
- Chapter 10: Species-group nominal taxa and their names
- Chapter 11: Authorship
- Chapter 12: Homonymy
- Chapter 13: The type concept in nomenclature
- Chapter 14: Types in the family group
- Chapter 15: Types in the genus group
- Chapter 16: Types in the species group
- Chapter 17: The International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature
- Chapter 18: Regulations governing this code
- Appendix A: Code of Ethics
- Appendix B: General Recommendations
- Constitution of the ICZN
- University of Alberta Museum of Zoology
- "The Museum of Zoology's Ichthyological Collection consists of over 7,400 lots of more than 200,000 specimens representing 40 Orders and over 200 Families. Most of the specimens are preserved in alcohol with a number of mounted skeletons and cleared ...
- The Museum of Vertebrate Zoology
- "The UC Berkeley Museum of Vertebrate Zoology, founded in 1908, houses a permanent historical record of mammals, birds, reptiles and amphibians and information about their ecology, evolution and geographic distribution. The Museum's collections, in a ...
- Museum of Vertebrate Zoology Data Access
- A searchable database of hundreds of thousands of specimen records (and selected photographs) of amphibians, birds, bird eggs, mammals, and reptiles. From the Museum of Vertebrate Zoology, University of California, Berkeley.
- Museum of Vertebrate Zoology: Archival Field Notebooks Query Page
- A database of thousands of records of field notebooks from the archives of this museum. Includes scanned images of selected "historical materials pertaining to major early (1900-1950) faunal expeditions in California" and other areas in the ...
- Smithsonian Institution National Museum of Natural History
- Take a virtual tour of this museum, discover things from Anthropology to Zoology, learn about their exhibits, and even explore a few online exhibits.
- Animal Diversity Web
- An "online database of animal natural history, distribution, classification, and conservation biology." Covers mammals, birds, arthropods, amphibians, reptiles, sharks, bony fishes, and other animals. Includes audio of selected animals, res ...
- Indian Museum, Kolkata
- "The Museum is divided into six sections dealing with Archaeology, Art, Anthropology, Geology, Zoology and Industry including Botany and is controlled by a Board of Trustees for the co-ordination of the various sections. "
- Archivos de Zootecnia
- Quarterly scholarly journal of zoology. In Spanish. ISSN 0004-0592.
- Animal Cognition and Learning
- This companion to a university course provides background for classes about analysis of cognition and behavior in animals. Includes historical background (with material about the work of Charles Darwin, Ivan Pavlov and others), and material about int ...
- Smithsonian National Zooligical Park
- Offering a wide range of information about the zoo and its work including an animal index and photo gallery, animal webcams, and extensive information about their conservation and science initiatives. The website also provides classroom resources as ...
- VN Illustrated Database of Mexican Biodiversity
- This Web site is "dedicated to Mexican fauna, flora and ecosystems." Browse by common name for animal information and images, read about floral biodiversity and find images of plants, and learn about ecosystems such as forests, tropical coa ...
- Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife: WildWatchCams
- Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife has put up nonintrusive Web cameras that enable the watching of native wildlife native. Eagles, owls, bats, heron, salmon, and seals can be seen in their natural habitats. Also included are news and in ...
- Animal Diversity Web
- "The Animal Diversity Web is a collection of pictures and information about animals. Accounts of individual species include information on distributions, natural history, conservation, and economic importance, along with pictures and sounds if availa ...
- Wild Species: The General Status of Species in Canada
- "Report 2000" was prepared to note the status of about 1,600 of Canada's over 70,000 species of plants and animals, with new reports to be issued every five years. The data in "Species" show levels of endangerment by Canadian prov ...
- Caution: Ingenious Animals at Work
- This 2005 article discusses how "we used to think that humans were the only tool-users. But now chimps, crows -- even dolphins -- have been spotted using them." Describes chimpanzees "clean[ing] themselves with wads of leaves, or us[in ...
- Animal Behavior Society
- "The Animal Behavior Society was founded in 1964 to promote the study of animal behavior in the broadest sense, including studies using descriptive and experimental methods under natural and controlled conditions. Membership is open to persons engage ...
- The Wilson Ornithological Society
- Headquartered at the University of Michigan Museum of Zoology, the Wilson Society is a world-wide organization of scientists and amateurs interested in birds. Website offers information on graduate programs in ornithology and provides electronic arch ...
- 'Virgin Birth' Mammal Rewrites Rules of Biology
- Explains the process by which a mouse "that is the daughter of two female parents" was created by scientists at the University of Agriculture in Tokyo. Provides background on the process of parthenogenesis, which is also known as virgin bir ...
- Canadian Association of Zoos and Aquariums
- "A non-profit organization established to promote the welfare of and encourage the advancement and improvement of zoology, recreation, education, conservation and science. This Web site is intended to bring CAZA Members together, to exchange informa ...
- Smithsonian National Zoological Park: Zoological Medicine
- This collection of articles provides an overview of zoological medicine, a specialization within the field of veterinary medicine. Covers some of the tasks of a zoo health care team, zoo animal pathology (including necropsy), veterinary care of speci ...
- Saint Louis Zoo: Science and Research: Pathology Lab
- Brief document discussing the investigation of animal deaths at the zoo. Topics include what causes the death of zoo animals, what happens to a zoo animal after it dies, and what happens to the animal's body once a necropsy is complete. From the Sain ...
- Conchologists of America
- The Conchologists of America, better known as COA, is a society for shell enthusiasts from all walks of life, at all levels of interest.
- American Association for Laboratory Animal Science
- "AALAS serves society through education and the advancement of responsible laboratory animal care and use. Long Range Goals The following represents AALAS' long-range goals for the next five years which encompass AALAS' vision, and determines the dir ...
- World Wildlife Fund Endangered Species
- This site gives information about the World Wildlife Fund's efforts to protect various endangered species. Read up on the status of key endangered species and learn how you can help the cause.
- Wombania's Wombat Information Center
- Detailed information on the wombats of Australia. Covers many apsects of these particular marsupials, their habits and species variations.
- The Wildlife Rehabilitation Information Directory
- A source of information about wildlife rehabilitation, including information on what to do with injured wildlife, who to contact, and how to become a volunteer or professional wildlife rehabilitator. This site also includes a chat room and message ...
- Polar Bears Alive
- "Polar Bears Alive is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the worldwide conservation of the polar bear. An unusual organization, PBA focuses on one animal and one ecosystem. "Save polar bears," notes [founder] Guravich, "and you go a long way towa ...
- Bat Conservation International
- The Bat Conservation International website offers extensive information and resources about bats and ongoing conservation projects; ways you can help through the Adopt-A-Bat program and membership in the organization; and information for prospective ...
- International Society for Anthrozoology
- "ISAZ was founded in 1991 as a supportive organization for the study of human-animal interactions. ISAZ has a world-wide membership of professionals and students who are actively engaged in research directed towards increasing understanding of relati ...
- The American Ornithologists' Union
- "Founded in 1883, the American Ornithologists' Union is the oldest and largest organization in the New World devoted to the scientific study of birds. Although the A.O.U. primarily is a professional organization, its membership of about 4,000 include ...
- Association of Field Ornithologists
- "The Association of Field Ornithologists (AFO) is a society of professional and amateur ornithologists dedicated to the scientific study and dissemination of information about birds in their natural habitats. Founded in 1922 as the New England Bird ...
- Cooper Ornithological Society
- "The Cooper Ornithological Society (COS) was organized in 1893 and incorporated in 1934. The name of the Society commemorates an early California naturalist, Dr. James G. Cooper. Today the Society numbers over 3000 professional and amateur ornitholo ...
- Raptors Research Foundation
- "The Raptor Research Foundation (RRF) is a non-profit scientific society whose primary goal is the accumulation and dissemination of scientific information about raptors (hawks, eagles, falcons and owls). This information is used to inform the public ...
- Tortoise Trust
- "The TORTOISE TRUST is the world's largest tortoise and turtle organization, with members in more than 26 countries." Mission objects include providing husbandry information, campaigning for tortoise and turtle conservation worldwide, supporting con ...
- "The first free, electronic newsletter dedicated only to reptile and amphibian science and conservation."
- International Morab Breeders Association
- The International Morab Breeders Association (IMBA) "concentrates on promoting the breed, advertising, sales listings, stud reviews, information exchange, Futurity sponsorship, member newsletter and helping new Morab Breeders establish their programs ...
- Ornithological Council
- The Ornithological Council links the scientific community with public and private decision-makers; provides timely information about birds to help ensure scientifically-based decisions, policies, and management actions; informs ornithologists of pro ...
- Humans and Other Animals
- "Humans and Other Animals is a web site designed for all those interested in the human-animal relationship. The site provides academic researchers, students and people who deal with animals in their everyday lives, both professionally or as owners, w ...
- Butterflies of North America
- Descriptions and photographs of butterflies and moths to aid in identification. Has a clickable map of the United States to find butterflies by state and links to other Internet butterfly resources.
- Wild Horses: An American Romance
- "'Wild Horses - An American Romance' takes the viewer to spectacular locations in the American West where humans and horses share a fascinating history and partnership. Through the [site] navigation...you can explore: how the prehistoric horse origin ...
- The Aviary
- This site offers profiles of a variety of bird species, from the American Robin to the White Pelican. Photos plus information on appearance, eggs, and habitat are provided.
- Birds Links to the World
- Bird Links to the World provides links to information and resources on birds that can be browsed by geographical regions or bird species. Links to some images and sounds of the bird species, as well as quizzes, newsgroups and assorted resources are ...
- Placental Mammals
- This site features extensive information on eutherian, or placental, mammals, a group which includes nearly 4000 species. Among these species are whales, cats, sheep, and humans. Photographs, diagrams, and other visual aids supplement scientific back ...
- "An information system for amphibian conservation biology." Search the database by genus, species, family, order, or common name. Entries include photographs, conservation status, description, distribution and habitat, trends and threats, and bibliog ...
- The Life of Birds
- "The Life of Birds" is the accompanying Web site for the PBS documentary of the same name. The site features information on bird brains, the evolution of birds, reproduction, bird songs (along with RealAudio sound clips), and other interesting facts ...
- The Hummingbird WebSite
- A great resource for information on hummingbird-related subjects, including education, conservation and ecology. This site has articles on attracting hummingbirds and hummingbird biology, photographs, and links to other hummingbird sites.
- EyeWitness to History
- "History through the eyes of those who lived it." Eyewitness accounts of historical events with visuals and some sound recordings of radio broadcasts. Real life accounts and recreated happenings range from the ancient world right up to more ...
- Includes tons of information about bird watching in Massachusetts.
- Christmas Bird Count
- Provides resources and results of the Christmas Bird count, a project where citizen scientists count birds and share the data they find. Provides information on the distribution of bird populations in the early winter.
- Northwest Alpacas - Alpaca Library
- Northwest Alpacas Ranch is a family-run alpaca farm in Oregon. While their website offers some commercial content and is aimed at those interested in owning and breeding alpacas, the site also includes the Alpaca Library. The library is a varied co ...
- The Butterfly WebSite
- A bounty of butterfly information, including articles, picture galleries, listings of public butterfly gardens and butterfly societies, links to other Web sites, and an online discussion area.
- The Purple Martin Conservation Association
- This site is features information about the biology and habitat requirements of the Purple Martin. Information is accompanied by pictures and sound effects. Requires a browser plug in capable of playing .au sound files.
- Journal of Insect Science
- "Publishes papers in all aspects of the biology of insects and other arthropods from the molecular to the ecological."
- Interactive Frog Dissection
- Dissect a frog without leaving the comfort of your own computer. Step by step instructions give you a graphic view of a frog dissection.
- A site dedicated to crocodiles. Includes information about crocodile biology (including breeding and behavior), a species list, audio files of crocodile sounds, and bibliography of Internet resources.
- Mammal Species of the World
- Holds about 5000 names of "currently recognized species of mammals, in a taxonomic hierarchy (Order, Family, Subfamily, Genus, and Species). Each record includes scientific name, author's name and year described, and more. The database may be searche ...
- Homepage for the Arachnology mailing list. Includes a wealth of information about spiders and their relatives (ticks, scorpions, etc.), including more than 1000 categorized links to arachnological information.
- Insect Database
- This is a listing of the orders of the class Insecta. Descriptions of each order are displayed, which includes anatomy, economic impact, size of order, etc.
- The restaurant reviews -- the most valuable part of this site -- are fee-based, but it is still a handy and reliable resource for locating restaurant addresses and phone numbers.
- The American Beekeeping Federation
- The American Beekeeping Federation is a national association for the beekeeping industry.
- Virtual Birding - Educational Materials
- "These educational materials are part of the Illinois Birds education kit developed by the Illinois Department of Natural Resources. The full kit contains a wealth of information to help educators present Illinois-specific information to students in ...
- Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology
- Provides information for citizen scientists focused on conservation of birds. Provides tools for the monitoring of bird populations through bird watching.
- American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists
- "The American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists is dedicated to the scientific study of fishes, amphibians and reptiles. The primary emphases of the Society are to increase knowledge about these organisms, to disseminate that knowledge thr ...
- Duke Research
- Enjoy reading features about different scientific areas of research from Duke University, complete with mystery photos, short videos, slideshows, and a blog.
- Science Net: Toronto Reference Library
- Search for excellent science sites by subject or by letter. You???ll find great sites about astronomy, botany, biology, chemistry, geology, paleontology, physics, and zoology.
- UCMP Glossary
- A glossary of biological terms, browsable by topic (Phylogenetics, Geology, Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Ecology, Life History, Zoology, Botany). From the Museum of Paleontology, University of California, Berkeley.
- Defenders of Wildlife
- Provides information about wildlife conservation. It is dedicated to saving and protecting wildlife. There are sections for news, fact sheets on wildlife and habitats, program policies, and ways to take action.
- Secrets of the Stomatopod
- This site details a research expedition from UC-Berkeley which spent 10 days in an underwater habitat in order to study stomatopods, crustaceans which are related to crabs and lobsters. This site details some of their discoveries, as well as giving ...
- San Diego Zoo - Giant Pandas
- Homepage for the Giant Panda Research Station at the San Diego Zoo. Includes facts about giant pandas and their endangered status, Panda blogs, chats, and podcasts by the facility's researchers, and a live Panda webcam.
- Bronx Zoo
- Website for the Bronx Zoo. Contains news and information about all of the animals the zoo keeps.
- Vet Online
- "Vet Online--The International Journal of Veterinary Medicine. Vet On-Line [is] the first journal of veterinary science on the internet containing articles for veterinary professionals and owners. The aim of this journal is to be a source of informat ...
- Vet On-Line (The International Journal of Veterinary Medicine)
- Vet On-Line is "the first journal of veterinary science on the internet containing articles for veterinary professionals and owners. The aim of this journal is to be a source of information and new ideas in all aspects of veterinary science. "
- American Fisheries Society
- "The American Fisheries Society (AFS), founded in 1870, is the oldest and largest professional society representing fisheries scientists. AFS promotes scientific research and enlightened management of resources for optimum use and enjoyment by the pu ...
- BlueCrab Archives
- Information on the Blue Crab. Life cycle, vocabulary, cooking methods, industry, and crab-related bibliography.
- Animal Concerns Community
- "The Animal Concerns Community is a project of the EnviroLink Network, a non-profit organization which has been providing access to thousands of online environmental and animal rights/welfare resources since 1991. This community serves as a clearingh ...
- Nordiska Ciklidsällskapet
- "The Nordic Cichlid Society has over 1400 members in Sweden, Denmark, Norway, and Finland who are interested in Cichlids. The site contains contact information for local societies as well as discussion forums and a members' newspaper 'Ciklidbladet', ...
- National Wildlife Rehabilitators Association
- "The National Wildlife Rehabilitators Association is a nonprofit international membership organization committed to promoting and improving the integrity and professionalism of wildlife rehabilitation and contributing to the preservation of natural e ...
- American Miniature Horse Association
- "The American Miniature Horse Association (AMHA) is the official registry of the American Miniature horse. Formed in 1978, the AMHA was organized by a group of dedicated horsemen to aid and encourage the breeding, exhibiting, use and perpetuation of ...
- American Animal Hospital Association
- "The American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA) is an international association of more than 17,000 veterinary care providers who treat companion animals... AAHA reminds pet owners that they can help pets live healthier and longer lives by taking th ...
- African Wildlife Foundation
- "The African Wildlife Foundation has been working with the people of Africa to protect their invaluable natural resources since 1961. Most of AWF's staff is based in Africa, where they work at the grass roots with park managers and communities to saf ...
- "Cryptozoology is about strange, out of place, or unknown animals. In this website there are articles, photos, and other information on several cryptids." Current entries include the New Zealand waitoreke, the giant squid, and the coelacanth.
- eNature Field Guides
- "Search the National Audubon nature guides online, find detailed species descriptions then save your own notes in the eNature Life Lists." Includes guides for amphibians, birds, butterflies, fishes, insects, mammals, reptiles, seashells, seashore cre ...
- Mass Audubon
- Contains information about Massachusetts birds and conservation issues along with educational programs for children and adults.
- Contains information that pertains to conservation, fish, and the ocean. The blog also links to many resources about these topics.
- Endangered Species Home Page
- Lists officially U.S. recognized endangered species, candidates for the list, and guidelines and qualifications for the list. There's also a section of frequently asked questions.
- The Micropolitan Museum of Microscopic Art Forms
- This site, from the "Institute for the Promotion of the Less Than One Millimeter," collects beautiful images of a variety of microorganisms and insects. Includes images of bacteria, diatoms, rotifers, water fleas, blue-green algae, and more.
- The History of the Discovery of Cinematography
- "An illustrated chronological history of the development of motion pictures covering 2500 years leading to the discovery of cinematography in the 1800's." Contains related print and Web resources. Created and maintained by a film historian.
- Film 100
- Read about the 100 most influential people in the history of cinema and a description of their accomplishments. This subjective list from film professionals and buffs provides lots of details on many greats of the movie industry.
- Hundreds of optical illusions, including visual illusions and those from nature. Also features games, puzzles, recent articles about research involving optical illusions, and related links.
- Center for American Women and Politics (CAWP)
- Located at Rutgers University, CAWP is a research, education, and public service center which compiles information about women in American government and politics. The site includes syllabi for college courses on women and politics and feminist theor ...
- Learning More about Llamas
- Learn about the types of llamas, their care and feeding, uses, breeding, showing, sheering, training, and more at this site. Includes events, services, uses and related sites regarding llamas.
- Wealth of information on whales and international whale watching. Site contains a dictionary and encyclopedia of whale lore, links to whale references in the arts, whale organizations and images.
- Extreme Science
- "Read about "the biggest, baddest and the best" in the natural world, and get introduced to the "way cool scientists" who study these extreme critters. It's a great site for kids (both in age and at heart), who will be educated and entertained by suc ...
- bugbios: Insects on the Web
- This Website features nearly 100 macroscopic full-color photographs of insects, information aobut insects and their ecological role. educational materials, and links to other sites of interest.
- Junglewalk.com: A site for animal lovers
- Junglewalk.com features a collection of links to audio, photo and video clips of animals from all over the world. There are also links to pages full of information about these animals.
- Woodland Park Zoo Animal Facts
- The Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle, WA provides fact sheets on a large number of the zoo's animals and a few plants. Each sheet contains a range map, a picture, statistics, and descriptions. You'll also find a bibliography on each page for further rea ...
- Fish & Seafood Online
- On this site, you will find a series of fact sheets on various species of fish and shellfish produced in Canadian waters. You can also access a directory of Canadian fish and seafood suppliers. Highlights of Canada1s seafood trade performance for 200 ...
- Endangered Species
- This IPL pathfinder is designed to help you find information about endangered species using Internet and/or print resources. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list; rather, it is intended to be a useful starting point for those wishing to find ...
- The Ragens Photo Library: San Juan Island Wildlife Photography
- Nature photography taken in and around San Juan Islands, Washington state. This collection of photos features a wide range of wildlife, including bald eagles, orca (killer) whales, porpoises, red foxes, sea otters, deer, and seals. A usage policy is ...
- The Cleveland Museum of Natural History
- "We encourage people of all ages to discover and explore the natural world. Our curators care for over a million specimens in the fields of anthropology, archaeology, astronomy, botany, geology, paleontology, zoology and wildlife biology."
- Bats (Order Chiroptera)
- Includes general information about bats as a group as well as detailed information on many specific types of bats. Details include images (if available), range, physical characteristics, references, natural history, and more. From the University of M ...
- Birds and Mammals Observed by Lewis and Clark in North Dakota
- This site gives a detailed account of all of the birds and mammals that the members of the Lewis and Clark expedition observed in North Dakota. Actual expedition records were consulted in creating this website.
- IPL FAQ: Animal Names & Words
- Names for groups or gender of animals. Find out from this IPL Frequently Asked Question site.
- Museum of Talking Boards
- This fun, attractive site is rich with information about ouija boards past and present. Sections include a history of the ouija board, directions for use, a photo gallery featuring dozens of boards, and instructions on how to create a homemade board. ...
- SeaWorld / Busch Gardens
- Reference source for facts about animals, especially marine animals. For each there is information on scientific classification, eating habits, reproduction, behavior, and communication. Also has bibliographies and suggested readings.
- The Hamster Society
- "Whether you own one hamster or one hundred, you are welcome to join us in the Hamster Society. We have members from all over the UK, plus a few in other countries." Find out here about hamster shows and displays, varieties of hamsters, and news. ...
- The National Aquaculture Association
- "The National Aquaculture Association (NAA) is a non-profit, tax exempt organization whose purpose is to work with all segments of the US aquaculture community for the purpose of national representation of mutual interests. While the organization mea ...
- National Gerbil Society
- "The National Gerbil Society (previously known as The National Mongolian Gerbil Society) is a British society for the promotion of Gerbils and Jirds as pets, and exhibition animals. Overseas members are invited." The site includes gerbil frequently ...
- International Arabian Horse Magazine
- American Federation of Aviculture
- "The AFA is dedicated to the promotion of aviculture and the conservation of Avian Wildlife through the encouragement of captive breeding programs, scientific research and the education of the general public. To promote the interests of aviculture , ...
- Welcome to Mote Marine Laboratory!
- "Mote Marine Laboratory (MML) is an independent, nonprofit research organization dedicated to excellence in marine and environmental sciences." This organization offers a host of educational programs to the public and works to educate the scientific ...
- This extensive site provides detailed entries about over 200 species of marine animals, as well as information about marine plants, the deep ocean, marine conservation, ocean history, and much more. Also includes links for education and career infor ...
- Fish of the Great Lakes
- This page, produced by the Sea Grant Institute at the University of Wisconsin, provides information about the various species of fish, both native and invasive, found in the Great Lakes. Also provides fishing tips, a guide to cooking and eating Grea ...
- Marine Resources Division, South Carolina Department of Natural Resources
- Includes the excellent Sea Science Series publications, covering the following topics: Shrimp in South Carolina; Jellyfish; Blue Crabs; Oysters and Clams; Dynamics of the Salt Marsh; Summer Inshore Fishing; Summer Offshore Fishing; South Carolina Mar ...
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- The main site of the CDC, the United States' "lead federal agency for protecting the health and safety of people," an agency of the Department of Health and Human Services. Information includes a directory of the CDC's component centers, in ...
- The Phobia List
- List of more than 500 phobias with description. Includes information on how they're named, a FAQ, quotes dealing with fear, and links to related sites.
- Life Magazine
- Covers and "classic pictures" from Life Magazine for the years 1936-1972, when it was a weekly publication. Covers are searchable; pictures may be browsed by edition, subject, or photographer. The covers section also includes "past LIF ...
- RodentFancy:A Site of Sixth Happiness
- All you need to know about rodent care, breeding, genetics, rescue and adoption! Find articles on public-education/awareness and animal rights, and leave comments for other rodent lovers from around the world.
- Searchable Ornithological Research Archive
- Historical archives of ornithological research published by thirteen scholarly journals and bird-watching societies based in North America. The literature is international in scope and covers the late 19th-20th centuries. Articles can be downloaded ...
- Biomedia Galleries
- This collection of full-color images features a guide to pond-water microorganisms, colorful graphics of cellular processes, and a "classic organisms of biology" gallery.
- Wildfinder: Mapping the World's species
- Search more than 26,000 animal species throughout the world, either by place or by species name. You can search for birds, mammals, reptiles, or amphibians.
- Earthwatch Institute
- Service organization providing opportunities for members of the public to participate in scientific research expeditions studying archaeology, endangered animals, natural resource management, and other topics related to environmental change. Website ...
- The Field Museum
- This site is a companion to Chicago's Field Museum of Natural History and has resources, exhibits and interactive resources for every age and interest.
- Crocodilians: Natural History & Conservation
- The list of species on this crocodilian resource includes distribution maps, scientific and common names, distribution, habitat, appearance, diet, breeding, conservation, and pictures for all twenty-three species. The Biology Database has information ...
- Encyclopedia Smithsonian
- "The Smithsonian Institution receives a great many public inquiries covering a wide range of topics. Therefore, the following responses have been compiled to answer frequently asked questions or to provide guidance in finding the requested informatio ...
- An interactive portal designed "to connect life sciences researchers with free, useful resources and other like-minded scientists from all around the world." Includes annotated links to news and life science websites, a nomenclatural glossa ...
- Periodical Cicada Page
- Provides a profile of the "flying, plant-sucking insects" also known as 13-year locusts and 17-year locusts. Discusses behavior, distribution in the United States, and potential damage to trees and shrubs. (They are not harmful to humans.) ...
- Charles Darwin and His Writings
- Presentation on British naturalist Charles Darwin's life; his "On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection" and other writings on plants, zoology, geology; and theories of species development. From the University of South Carolin ...
- NEWTON's Ask A Scientist archive
- An archive of questions received and answers composed through NEWTON's Ask A Scientist service for K-12 students and educators. The following subjects are represented: astronomy, biology, botany, chemistry, computer, general science, engineering, en ...
- Zalophus Californianus: California Sea Lion
- Background about this marine mammal "found along the shore from California to Mexico including Baja and Tres Marias Islands, in the Galapagos Islands and in the southern Sea of Japan." Includes information about habitat, physical descriptio ...
- Freshwater and Marine Image Bank
- "An ongoing digital collection of images related to freshwater and marine topics, in all their diversity. It includes images of fish, shellfish, and marine mammals, pictures of fish hatcheries and dams and vessels, materials related to polar explorat ...
- American Cetacean Society
- "ACS works to protect whales, dolphins, porpoises, and their habitats through education, conservation, and research." Wesite contains information about the society, its activities and publications, and cetacean fact sheets.
- Free Willy Keiko Foundation
- "The Free Willy Keiko Foundation['s]... mission is to rescue, rehabilitate and attempt to return captive and stranded cetaceans (whales and dolphins) to their native habitats, through the operation of a state-of-the-art, deep-water rehabilitation fac ...
- Aquatic Network
- Aquatic Network calls itself the "Information Service for the Aquatic World. Subject areas covered include aquaculture, conservation, fisheries, limnology, marine science and oceanography, maritime heritage, ocean engineering, and seafood."
- Savage Seas
- This is the companion web site to the "Savage Seas" series which aired on PBS. The web site includes sections on the many topics covered in the television series. Excellent photographs and fascinating explanations highlight this well-designed site. H ...
- Peace Corps Kids World
- This site features a history of the Peace Corp and a description of its goals and general activities of the volunteers. The site includes an interactive map of Peace Corp locations throughout the world; information on holidays, food, schools, and ent ...
- Fish FAQ
- "A bouillabaisse of fascinating facts about fish."
- Animal Planet - Working Dogs
- Learn all about the different roles that dogs take on as helpers, entertainers, rescuers, hunters, law-enforcers, and more!
- If you like frogs, this is the site for you. There are frog facts, pictures of frogs to color, and even jokes about frogs. There are also frog news articles, frog fables, and a frog art gallery. This site even helps you figure out everything you ne ...
- American Museum of Natural History Congo Expedition, 1909-1915
- An exhibit of scientists Herbert Lang and James P. Chapin's almost six-year expedition to the Central African Congo River basin to catalog the plants and animals they found. Features biographies, notes, field photographs, diaries, illustrations, arti ...
- National Bird-Feeding Society: Helping create bird-friendly backyards
- The National Bird-Feeding Society (NBS) offers tips on creating a healthy environment for wild birds by supporting education and research about backyard wild birds. Provides information on publications, a question/answer database about bird-feeding, ...
- The Complete Work of Charles Darwin Online
- Online source containing the works of Charles Darwin, including unpublished papers. Features a searchable index of the scientist???s publications, manuscripts, diaries, and notebooks as well as an extended biography. Supplemental materials include ...
- Bath Postal Museum
- This website features a detailed chronology of postal service from its origins in ancient Egypt, a history of letter boxes from 1854-1998 (including various models of pillar box), descriptions of postal uniforms from 1793-1984, and biographies of sev ...
- ipl2: Dinosaur Floor of the Exhibit Museum at the University of Michigan
- Take a virtual tour of the Dinosaur Floor of the University of Michigan Exhibit Museum using QuickTime VR technology.
- The Encyclopedia of Earth
- A comprehensive, authoritative, and thorough resource all about our Earth and relationship to it. Articles written by experts and scholars
- Sled Dogs: An Alaskan Epic
- Read about sled dogs, including Balto, a brave husky.
Zoology at World Digital Library
- Title: Through the Brazilian Wilderness, by Theodore Roosevelt; with Illustrations from Photographs by Kermit Roosevelt and Other Members of the Expedition
- Title: The Uganda Protectorate: Attempt to Give Some Description of the Physical Geography, Botany, Zoology, Anthropology, Languages and History of the Territories under British Protection in East Central Africa
- Title: Mister Johann Anderson...Reports on Iceland, Greenland, and the Davis Strait for the Proper Use of the Sciences and Commerce
- Title: Atlas of the Physical and Political History of Chile [Plates, Volume 1]
- Title: Atlas of the Physical and Political History of Chile [Plates, Volume 2]