Etymologie, Etimología, Étymologie, Etimologia, Etymology
@_ Welt, Mundo, Monde, Mondo, World
Zahlen, Número, Nombre, Numero, Number
, lat. "septuaginta"
Zahl 00086 in Alltag und Sprache
Was hat die Zahl 86 mit einem Rausschmiss zu tun? Vielleicht war es das Codewort beim Ausrufen in Kaufhäusern?
Kinnear, John R.: History of the Eighty-sixth Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry, during its term of service (English) (as Author)
United States. Congress. House. Committee on Science and Astronautics:
The Practical Values of Space Exploration
Report of the Committee on Science and Astronautics, U.S.
House of Representatives, Eighty-Sixth Congress, Second Session (English) (as Author)
Funny, I always thought it referred to 86 talking kangaroos.
What we do know is that "86" first appeared as "kitchen slang" meaning "out of that item" in the 1930's, and fairly quickly came to mean "stop serving that customer" as well. Eventually, "86" spread to general usage, where it came to mean simply "dismiss" or "quash" ("The boss 86'ed my proposal for beer in the lunchroom").
Perhaps rhyming slang for "nix".
- 'Blue Peter' - the TV Series
- 'Knightmare' - the Kids' TV Show
- 'Series' Land Rovers - Beasts That Won't Die
- Aikawa Nanase - Singer
- American Diner Slang
- Anton Seidl: Conductor
- Aye-aye: Primate, Not Pirate
- B36 Peacemaker - Big, Bad and Beautiful
- Baseball Teams of the American League
- Biomes of Earth
- Bloomington, Indiana, USA
- Bollywood Cinema 2000-2010
- Cal Ripken Jr - Baseball Legend
- Cataracts and their treatment
- Cheddar Cheese
- Cleethorpes, North East Lincolnshire, UK
- Colin Chapman and Lotus Cars
- Comets as Harbingers of Doom
- Constellations: Andromeda 'the Chained Maiden'
- Constellations: Ara 'the Altar'
- Constellations: Bootes 'the Herdsman'
- Constellations: Caelum 'the Sculptor's Chisel'
- Constellations: Circinus 'the Geometer's Compass'
- Constellations: Columba 'the Dove'
- Constellations: Cygnus 'the Swan'
- Constellations: Eridanus 'the River'
- Constellations: Hercules 'the Strongman'
- Constellations: Indus 'the Native American Indian'
- Constellations: Ophiuchus 'the Serpent Bearer'
- Constellations: Pisces 'the Fish'
- Constellations: Scorpius 'the Scorpion'
- Constellations: Taurus 'the Bull'
- Constellations: Tucana 'the Toucan'
- Coventry City Football Club
- Depeche Mode - the Band
- Diophantine Equations
- Essex Men Who Built the United States: Part Two - Massachusetts
- Everton Football Club
- Formula One Racing in the 1980s
- Franz Beckenbauer - Three Ways to Win the World Cup
- Googol - an Unimaginably Large Number
- Grand Theft Auto - the Computer Game Trilogy
- Groucho Marx - Writer and Actor
- Harold Gatty - Prince of Navigators
- History of the Cherokee Language
- How Best to Cope with Bereavement
- How Old Is Your Cat in Relation to You?
- How to Fight Spam
- How To Understand Statistics
- I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue - the Radio Series
- Joanna Lumley OBE: Actress and Activist
- John Glenn - Astronaut, Politician and Pilot
- John Rabe and the Nanjing Massacre
- Julius Caesar - Roman Dictator
- Kakapo - the World's Most Remarkable Parrots
- Last Chance To See - the Radio Series and Book
- Mary of Teck
- Mobile Phones and Aircraft
- Monty Python's 'Galaxy Song'
- Norman Foster - Architect
- Places to Sleep in Hearst, Ontario, Canada
- Roman Fleet Types and Patrol Areas
- Steam Engine Wheel Arrangements
- Surviving Hot Weather
- Ted Williams - Baseball Legend
- The Anglo-Irish Question, Part 2: 1845 - 1900
- The Armagh Rail Disaster
- The City of Wells, the Cathedral and Bishop's Palace, Somerset, UK
- The Climate of Northern Ireland
- The Climate of South-central Pennsylvania, USA
- The Cosmic Influence of Halley's Comet
- The Covered Bridges of Bucks County, Pennsylvania, USA
- The Decipherment of Linear B
- The Declaration of Independence
- The Elements: Names and Origins - O-Z
- The History of the Transit of Venus
- The Karmann Ghia
- The Other Coronation Stone
- The Periodic Table of the Elements
- The Police - the Band
- The Solar Neutrino Problem
- The Specifics of Noble Gases
- The Thames River Crossings at Dartford
- The Years of Billy Joel's 'We Didn't Start The Fire' - 1962
- Time and Date
- Toilet Roll - The Pocket-Sized History
- Tony Greig - England Cricketer
- Tower Bridge, London, UK
- Units of Measurement
- What to do When You Get to the Airport
- York Minster, York, UK